Monday, October 21, 2013

Arranged Marriage Re-arranged

Weddings in India are unlike any other. Granted, the only other experience I have to compare them to are weddings in America, and let's just say it's a totally different ballgame. When you picture weddings in America, you picture a beautiful white dress, tuxedos, fragrant flowers, twinkling lights, dancing, etc. Indian weddings are more like an explosion of color and smells, the lights aren't quite so twinkly, but far more blinding, and I don't place a sari or burqua in the same category as "dress." Nonetheless, they are quite a fun and exhilarating experience and never leave my stomach empty or my heart unhappy.

My best friend in India invited us to attend a wedding with her for one of her dear friends. She invited us about two weeks ago, and Danae and I had been really looking forward to it. I even ordered a fancy salwaar suit (pictured below) to wear because I was so over attempting to waddle around in my sari. However, a few days ago, our friend informed us that the wedding had been cancelled. Since Danae and I aren't as familiar with the etiquette and traditions of Indian weddings, we didn't think much of the cancellation. We planned to have a normal Monday.

However, about an hour prior to the wedding, our friend called with a different set of news. Apparently the first bride backed out of the already arranged marriage, but no worries, an auntie of the groom had found another bride for the groom to marry! Problem solved. Wedding crisis averted.
Are you kidding me?! Talk about a cultural difference! I was shocked that a wedding could be called off and re-arranged so quickly! Our friend asked if we would still be willing to attend the wedding with her. We of course said we would be glad to, until I realized that I still hadn't picked my salwaar suit up from the tailor. Fortunately, we grabbed it and managed to get all dolled up in time to meet her for the wedding.

Now, when I say wedding in India, I am most likely not talking about the ceremony. Most Indian weddings are multiple days long. They include many traditions and ceremonies that would be completely foreign (literally haha) to most Americans. We have always been invited to the reception part of the wedding where you pretty much sit awkwardly, take lots of even more awkward photos with the bride and groom, and eat some pretty much stinkin awesome food. Who knew mutton could be so good?

And that's pretty much how this one went today. My favorite part is when you stand by the groom or the bride and pose for a picture just to realize that the camera is actually a video camera angled right at you for about 5 minutes. I guess you're just supposed to stand and smile? That's what I did! :)

Here are some pictures we took today to give you more of an idea.
 My salwaar suit!

 The groom and his friend
 The bride
The food! It may look gross, but it's delicious! Ain't nothing like good mutton!

No comments: